Synonyms of put in English:
- the ship put aboutturn around, tack, come about, change course
- we need to put our message across more clearlycommunicate, convey, get across/over, explain, make clear, spell out, clarify;get through to someone
put away informal
- 5.1 informal he can put away a lot of pies See eat (sense 1)
- 1.1 informal she often puts me downcriticize, belittle, disparage, deprecate, denigrate, slight, humiliate, shame, crush, squash, deflateinformalshow up, cut down to size
- See sense 4
put in for
put it on
- 2.1 I put the light onswitch on, turn on, activate
put one over on
- informal See hoodwink
put up to
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.