Definition of Acadian in English:
Of or relating to Acadia or its people.
- Louisiana became English-speaking, and Acadian culture was reduced to a distinctive and now fashionable cuisine known as ‘Cajun cooking’.
- ‘It was an emotional day,’ said Hamm, who attended on behalf of the provincial government but said he's also a fan of Acadian music.
- Unlike most other Acadian communities across the province, young people in Larry's River, who attend elementary school down the shore in New Harbour and are bused to Guysborough for the higher grades, receive their education in English.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Acadia.
- France retained only its fishing rights on the northern coast of Newfoundland and the islands of St-Pierre and Miquelon, where inhabitants from Louisbourg and Acadians resettled.
- The Acadians were the French-speaking inhabitants of what are today the Atlantic seaboard provinces of Canada.
- To dominate the region militarily, culturally, and agriculturally without interference, the British expelled the Acadians, dispersing them to colonies such as Georgia and South Carolina.
1.1chiefly Canadian A French-speaking descendant of the early French settlers in Acadia.
- Doucet served as Nova Scotia's education minister and as provincial secretary in the late 1960s and early 1970s - the first Acadian to hold a titled cabinet portfolio.
- The French language has always had a presence among the Acadians of the Pubnico area, but the area is also very bilingual.
- The French-speaking Acadians, however, held onto their own culture.
1.2US A descendant of the Acadians deported to Louisiana in the 18th century; a Cajun.
- One need only check the Internet and read the Web pages from Louisiana on the Acadians to feel the heat of the anti-British feeling.
- Louisiana attracted Acadians who wanted to rejoin their kin and Acadian culture.
- In Louisiana the Creoles and Acadians rejected the cotton planters' Southern nationalism.
Words that rhyme with AcadianAkkadian, Arcadian, Barbadian, Canadian, circadian, Grenadian, Hadean, Orcadian, Palladian, radian, steradian
Definition of Acadian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan