- 1 (plural same) A member of a farming and pastoral people of northern Uganda and South Sudan.More example sentences
- One of them was the Acholi, a tribe that populates the northern Gulu region where the couple struggled for years to build their hospital.
- The Acholi is the dominant tribe in northern Uganda.
- The Acholi are located in the Gulu, Kitgum and Pader districts, while the Langi are in the neighboring Lango district.
- 2The Nilotic language of the Acholi.More example sentences
- The Western Nilotic language groups include the Langi and Acholi as well as the Alur.
- But, Okot's topical, graphic, and exciting version, read side by side with my ponderous lines, should yield to the reader as much of what the Acholi original has as is possible.
- Mother tongue proficiency in Acholi, Ateso, Kumam or Lango and excellent English and/or French are required.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Acholi or their language.More example sentences
- The Acholi tribe has sophisticated rites of forgiveness and reconciliation, a lesson to those of us in the West.
- Some reference to the classical West African epics, to Oko p'Bitek's Acholi songs, or the long tradition of Swahili literature would have been useful.
- The Acholi and Langi ethnic groups were particular objects of Amin's political persecution because they had supported Obote and made up a large part of the army.
the name in Acholi.
More definitions of AcholiDefinition of Acholi in:
- The British & World English dictionary