not know someone from Adam
- Not know or be completely unable to recognize the person in question.More example sentences
- There's nothing more transparent than a politician smiling and greeting you like a long lost friend when you know well he doesn't know you from Adam.
- If you bank in the high street the person behind the counter doesn't know you from Adam.
- And despite the fact that he doesn't know me from Adam, he is prepared to trust me with all that money.
from Hebrew ῾ādām 'man', later taken to be a name.
More definitions of AdamDefinition of Adam in:
- The British & World English dictionary