Definition of Aesculapian snake in English:
A long, slender olive-brown to grayish snake found in Europe and southwestern Asia. In ancient times it was protected because of its mythical link with the god of healing, Aesculapius.
- Elaphe longissima, family Colubridae
- To this day the Aesculapian snake forms part of the symbols representing physicians and veterinarians.
- The Aesculapian snake has a uniformly brown back with a streak of darker colour behind the eyes.
- Since the Aesculapian snake is not closely related to that group, another available generic name had to be found for it.
Definition of Aesculapian snake in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan