Definition of Afghan in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Afghanistan, or a person of Afghan descent.
- Then they said they would stay back and try to help the Afghans effect national reconciliation.
- Some weapons will be blown up while usable weapons will be handed over to the Afghan's own national army, which is now being formed.
- The Turks and Afghans who served in the Moghul Army are believed to have brought this dish to Hindustan.
2 another term for Pashto.
- The first and most important Afghan word the nurses learned was ‘dahrt,’ which means pain.
- In fact, the neighboring district of Khash located on the ancient Silk Road to China is the source of the Afghan word for opium poppy.
- The Afghan word for hope is Arman and that is exactly what the station is about.
3 (afghan) A woolen blanket or shawl, typically one knitted or crocheted in strips or squares.
- I sat on the green plastic chair covered with five afghans crocheted for him each year for Christmas by my mother.
- My mother was also a world champion knitter who knit afghans, sweaters and all kinds of winter wear.
- Her mother was curled up in bed, sweating in her pink flannel pajamas, covered with a crocheted afghan even in the summer heat.
4 short for Afghan hound.
- The only type of brush capable of getting through an Afghan's coat is one with an air cushion behind the tufts.
- The Afghan stands 27- 29 inches tall and weighs 58-64 pounds.
- Afghans require weekly baths and brushing to remove dead hair and to prevent the tangling and matting to which they are prone.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Afghanistan, its people, or their language.
- Second, having an Afghan leader eliminates the language barrier.
- First, the language in the constitution that requires Afghan law to be in accord with Islam was strengthened.
- He wore Afghan clothes, spoke their languages, and understood their traditions.
from Pashto afghānī.
Definition of Afghan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan