Definition of African American in English:
A black American.
- Even as a teenager, she had felt drawn to work with African Americans and Native Americans.
- Yet it still lagged behind the literature of other American minorities, especially African Americans.
- The people who taught me the most about what it means to be American are African Americans.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to black Americans.
- He will join a number of African-American men who are making a real mark on American culture.
- The man most Americans say ought to be their nation's first African-American leader is today closer than ever to the seat of power.
- I would ask you the same question with regard to the African-American population.
Definition of African American in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia