Definition of Africanize in English:
1Make African in character: (as adjective Africanized) an Africanized form of Cajun music
More example sentences
- Their Latin-based sets may have derived from Cuba but their novel move was to Africanize the music.
- But the campaign to Africanize cyberspace is not all about the bottom line.
- Kevin is a composer who, if anything, has tried to Africanize Western music.
1.1(In Africa) restructure (an organization) by replacing white employees with black Africans.
- In South Africa, a university president has drained the brains from Ghanain and Nigerian universities in order to Africanize his staff.
- The aim is to 'Africanize' forest management by training local specialists to take over from their expatriate counterparts.
- An effort to Africanize the civil service and security forces as rapidly as possible complemented his drive for personal power.
2 (usually as adjective Africanized) Hybridize (honeybees of European stock) with bees of African stock, producing an aggressive strain. In recent years hybrids have spread from Brazil to the US, where they have become known colloquially as “killer bees.”.
- In the United States, it has been speculated, but not shown, that Africanized honeybees would hybridize extensively with European honeybees.
- Since then Africanized honeybees have spread over South and Central America and into the United States.
- The ‘killer bee, ‘or Africanized honeybee, earned this fearsome nickname because of its aggressive, though not necessarily lethal nature.’
- Example sentences
- From the 1960s, as newly independent African countries wrestled with the task of expanding school networks at primary and secondary level, the need for Africanisation of curricula became urgent for nation building.
- In the wake of independence, the process of Africanisation began in earnest.
- The governments of both Kenya and Uganda adopted a policy of Africanisation.
Definition of Africanize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan