Definition of Amboinese in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Ambon.
- Third, the book hardly touches upon the indigenous peoples and societies who produced the finer spices, especially the Moluccans, Amboinese and Bandanese.
- For generations, Ambonese of both faiths practiced peaceful coexistence - under which mosques and churches were built together.
- Many Ambonese, Keiese and Menadonese were employed as officials, police, teachers and missionaries.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the island of Ambon, its people, or their language.
- Traditional Indonesian music - Javanese, Ambonese, Sundanese, etc. - and some old Dutch tunes fill the air.
- Both within the Ambonese community, and in scholarly discourse, it is frequently noted that Muslim villages in Maluku have retained their indigenous languages.
Definition of Amboinese in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan