Definition of Americanism in English:
1A word or phrase peculiar to or originating in the US.
- I wish there was an Americanism for the 'cheers' expression that the Brits and other Europeans use for signing off their emails.
- Very soon after the Italians' arrival, all dialects became infused with Americanisms, quickly creating a new form of communication often intelligible only to immigrants.
- It seems the Germans are trying to make up for the loss of the omnipresent word by creating Americanisms throughout Germany.
1.1The qualities regarded as definitive of America or Americans: the same Americanism that Whitman sees in the farmer
More example sentences
- Post-war conditions brought this process of defining and constricting the meanings of Americanism into sharper focus.
- Many thinkers have noted that Americanism is inspired by or close to or intertwined with Puritanism.
- There is room here for only 100 percent Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Definition of Americanism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan