- A prayer, part of the Jewish liturgy, consisting of a varying number of blessings recited while the worshipers stand.More example sentences
- We recited the familiar prayers, like the Shema and the Amidah in their original Hebrew.
- The prayer at the center of every Jewish service, the Amidah, is nothing but blessings, nineteen of them.
- I began the Amidah - the focal recitation of the day - and invoked the names of the Patriarchs, but something was missing.
late 19th century: Hebrew, literally 'standing'.
More definitions of AmidahDefinition of Amidah in:
- The British & World English dictionary