Definition of Anatolian in English:
Of or relating to Anatolia, its inhabitants, or their ancient languages.
- The emergence of an alternative economy, especially of Anatolian origin, and new political centers and cultural spheres in the last two decades has brought the country to an irrevocable point.
- Turkey's Anatolian heartland consists of a lot of mountains, and river valleys all traveling in unhelpful directions.
- The Anatolian news agency reported Cay as saying that Bulgarian-Turkish relations, which have been developing very well lately, are an important factor for security on the Balkans and in Eastern Europe.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Anatolia.
- Indeed he argues that the Republic is a gocmen regime in which the elite are cut off from their own roots and tradition, and have become more Turkish than the Anatolians (Turks or otherwise).
- They were Christians, Buddhists, Jews, Manicheans, pagans, nomads, shamanists, and animists as well, and, ethnically speaking, Seljuks, Khazars, Bulgars, Timurids, Mongols, Anatolians and Chinese.
- To the Phoenicians He was Adoni, to the Anatolians He was Attis, to the Sumerians Damuzi.
2An extinct group of ancient languages constituting a branch of the Indo-European language family and including Hittite, Luwian, Lydian, and Lycian.
- Some unexplained differences and another parallel branch, Anatolian, also allow many to discuss the (hypothetical) ancestors of this language.
- There will also be classes with a specific language or language-family orientation, including African American English, Anatolian, Irish, Japanese, and Salish.
- Modern Turkish is descended from Old Anatolian, the language brought to Asia Minor by the Seljuk Turks in the 11th century.
Words that rhyme with AnatolianAeolian, Eolian, Jolyon, Mongolian, napoleon, simoleon
Definition of Anatolian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan