Definition of Anna's hummingbird in English:
A North American hummingbird that lives chiefly in California. The male has an iridescent rose-red head and throat.
- Calypte anna, family Trochilidae
- Male Anna's hummingbirds raised in isolation produce much simpler songs than do wild males.
- You can also see more widely ranging North American hummingbird species such as the black-chinned, broad-tailed, rufous, calliope, Costa's, Allen's, and Anna's hummingbirds in this region.
- Along the Pacific Coast, the large Anna's hummingbird may be found, as well as Allen's, black-chinned, broad-tailed, calliope, Costa's, and rufous hummingbirds.
mid 19th century: named after Anna, the wife of Prince François Massena (circa1795–1863), Duc de Ravoli, who obtained the original specimen.
Definition of Anna's hummingbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan