Definition of Antarctic in English:
1Of or relating to the south polar region or Antarctica.
- This reduced the mixing of warm, tropical ocean water and cold, polar water causing the buildup of the Antarctic polar ice cap.
- The Northern Lights are a phenomenon that is seen in the skies on clear, dark nights in the Arctic and Antarctic regions.
- It recreates the vegetation and animal life in the Antarctic and Arctic regions.
1.1 Botany Of, relating to, or denoting a phytogeographical kingdom comprising New Zealand, southern parts of Chile and Argentina, and islands in the South Atlantic and southern Indian Ocean.
- Lichens thus dominate the Antarctic flora both in terms of species diversity and in terms of total biomass.
- The role of liverworts in Antarctic plant communities is discussed in detail.
- The Antarctic flora is a distinct community of vascular plants which evolved millions of years ago.
noun(the Antarctic) Back to top
The Antarctic region.
- Penguins are the most common birds in the Antarctic.
- I ended the book with a photograph of an emperor penguin chick from the Antarctic.
- The lichen samples were collected along a transect from the northern maritime Antarctic to the continent.
Words that rhyme with Antarcticarctic, subantarctic, subarctic
Definition of Antarctic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.