Definition of Antarctic in English:
1Of or relating to the south polar region or Antarctica.
- This reduced the mixing of warm, tropical ocean water and cold, polar water causing the buildup of the Antarctic polar ice cap.
- The Northern Lights are a phenomenon that is seen in the skies on clear, dark nights in the Arctic and Antarctic regions.
- It recreates the vegetation and animal life in the Antarctic and Arctic regions.
1.1 Botany Of, relating to, or denoting a phytogeographical kingdom comprising New Zealand, southern parts of Chile and Argentina, and islands in the South Atlantic and southern Indian Ocean.
- Lichens thus dominate the Antarctic flora both in terms of species diversity and in terms of total biomass.
- The role of liverworts in Antarctic plant communities is discussed in detail.
- The Antarctic flora is a distinct community of vascular plants which evolved millions of years ago.
noun(the Antarctic) Back to top
Words that rhyme with Antarcticarctic, subantarctic, subarctic
Definition of Antarctic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan