Definition of Apterygota in English:
A group of insects that includes the bristletails and springtails. They have a primitive body form that lacks wings and typically have no distinct larval stage. Compare with Pterygota.
- Subclass Apterygota, class Insecta (or Hexapoda): several orders, some of which are sometimes not included with the Insecta
- In contrast to the Endopterygota, little is known about the arrangements of genes in many other lineages of insects, such as the Apterygota, the Palaeoptera, the hemipteroid assemblage, etc.
- The three groups of immediate interest are sometimes collectively called the ‘Apterygota,’ the wingless insects.
- The sub class Apterygota is divided into two orders, the microcoryphia known as dragonflies, damselflies and the zygentoma known as silverfish, fibre brats.
Definition of Apterygota in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan