Definition of Apterygota in English:
A group of insects that includes the bristletails and springtails. They have a primitive body form that lacks wings and typically have no distinct larval stage. Compare with Pterygota.
- Subclass Apterygota, class Insecta (or Hexapoda): several orders, some of which are sometimes not included with the Insecta
- In contrast to the Endopterygota, little is known about the arrangements of genes in many other lineages of insects, such as the Apterygota, the Palaeoptera, the hemipteroid assemblage, etc.
- The three groups of immediate interest are sometimes collectively called the ‘Apterygota,’ the wingless insects.
- The sub class Apterygota is divided into two orders, the microcoryphia known as dragonflies, damselflies and the zygentoma known as silverfish, fibre brats.
Definition of Apterygota in:
- British & World English dictionary