Definition of Arabize in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective Arabized)
Give (someone or something) an Arab or Arabic character: an Arabized script
More example sentences
- The Arab invasion in the 7th century brought with it many Arab soldiers who settled there and who slowly Arabized the country and converted most of its inhabitants to Islam.
- In its street forms, rai operates in France to keep a community of former North African residents connected; in Algeria it operated for a time as a Berber nationalist medium against the Islamicizing, Arabizing currents.
- Most Arabs in that area had been settled there in an attempt to Arabize the north.
- Example sentences
- It also raises the question of the status of Arabic: Arabization is advocated by the authors of the Report, but without exposing its difficulties nor its benefits.
- The revivification of Palestinian identity has become a part of Palestinian Christian consciousness: ‘The Arabization of the Christian churches, which began with their leaders, has spread to include theology and education.’
- Laws in the 1990s required the Arabization of secondary school and higher education, and made Arabic the only legal language in government and politics.
Definition of Arabize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan