Definition of Arapaho in English:
1 (plural same or Arapahos) A member of a North American Indian people living chiefly on the Great Plains, especially in Wyoming.
- Beginning in 1856, Oglalas, Cheyennes, Arapahos, and a few people from other Lakota tribes waged an all-out war on the Crows.
- As for the western Indians, such as the Sioux, Cheyenne, and Arapahos, American settlers went around them to settle the California and Oregon.
- Living on the High Plains had barely become comfortable for the Cheyennes and Arapahos when that life was interrupted by the great rush of Colorado gold seekers.
2The Algonquian language of the Arapaho, now almost extinct.
- Arapaho is a tonal language.
- The Arapaho language has changed rapidly over the centuries, and does not closely resemble other Algonquian languages in many ways.
- No children are currently learning Arapaho as a first language spoken in the home.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Arapaho or their language.
- In the Arapaho language, we referred to them as ‘those that fly.’
- Custer's Crow scouts reported the encampment of more than two thousand Sioux, Cheyenne, and Arapaho warriors that extended for four miles along the Little Bighorn River.
- On December 21, 1866, the Lakota Sioux, Northern Cheyenne and Arapaho warriors attacked a wood cutting party outside the Fort.
From Crow aaraxpéahu, probably literally 'those having many tattoo marks'.
Words that rhyme with ArapahoIdaho • Navajo
Definition of Arapaho in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan