Definition of Argentine ant in English:
A small South American ant that has become established in parts of the US.
- Iridomyrmex humilis, family Formicidae
- ‘We would expect the set of problems we see with Argentine ants in South Africa to occur in other habitats invaded by small ants,’ he said.
- Suhr said the Argentine ants killed native ants and the insect life they normally preyed upon, posing a major threat to biodiversity.
- Instead of sending out reproductives to a mating flight as most ants do, the Argentine ants reproduce by budding.
Definition of Argentine ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.