Definition of Argentine ant in English:
A small South American ant that has become established in parts of the US.
- Iridomyrmex humilis, family Formicidae
- ‘We would expect the set of problems we see with Argentine ants in South Africa to occur in other habitats invaded by small ants,’ he said.
- Suhr said the Argentine ants killed native ants and the insect life they normally preyed upon, posing a major threat to biodiversity.
- Instead of sending out reproductives to a mating flight as most ants do, the Argentine ants reproduce by budding.
Definition of Argentine ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan