Definition of Aryan in English:
1Relating to or denoting a people speaking an Indo-European language who invaded northern India in the 2nd millennium bc, displacing the Dravidian and other aboriginal peoples.
- Some time in the second millennium BCE the Aryan people arrived in north-west India.
- Believing that he had spoken to the ancient Iranian high god Ahura Mazda, Zoroaster undertook a reform of the old Indo-Iranian religion of the Aryan invaders of India and Iran.
- The use of honey was taken to India by its Aryan invaders and became associated with religious rites.
1.2(In Nazi ideology) relating to people of Caucasian race not of Jewish descent.
- In the early stages of Hitler's terror, the Jewish spouses of Aryans were spared transportation to ‘the East.’
- Hitler believed that the Aryans were a superior race.
- There he was with black hair, as far away as he could come in appearance from the Aryans, the master race with which he wanted to populate the earth.
nounBack to top
1A member of the ancient Aryan people.
- The Jews figured in Nazi ideology as the arch-enemy of the Aryan race.
- They believe the Jews control the U.S. government and are out to destroy the Aryan race.
- The 1935 Nuremberg Race Laws against Jews outlawed mixed marriages in pursuit of a pure Aryan race.
1.1The language of the Aryan people.
Definition of Aryan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia