Definition of Assamese in English:
noun (plural same)
1A native or inhabitant of Assam.
- Indeed, in 1978 just 38 of the 126 state asssemblymen were Assamese.
- The Nepalese account for another 35 percent, while the Assamese make up 15 percent of the country's inhabitants.
- This is significant because the Bodos are the largest plains tribal group, known for their opposition to the Assamese, a feeling born out of bitterness at economic and political neglect by successive Assam governments.
2The Indic language, related to Bengali, that is the official language of Assam.
- Oriya is an Indo-Aryan language closely related to Bengali, Assamese, and other languages of eastern India.
- He is a linguist and fluently speaks in Urdu, Persian, Tamil, Nepali, Bengali, Hindi and Assamese, besides English and Khasi languages.
- He has sung in no less than 11 languages including Bengali, Assamese, and the South Indian languages.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to Assam, its people, or its language.
- This has also helped even the English medium students to study Assamese literature keenly.
- The later Assamese poems are uneven or done in by translations.
- Lunch had just finished; rich Assamese fish curry with sticky rice, fried aubergines and raita (curd with chopped onion and cucumber), all eaten with the fingers to get the real taste.
Words that rhyme with AssameseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
Definition of Assamese in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.