Definition of Atlanticism in English:
Belief in or support for a close relationship between western Europe and the US, or particularly for NATO.
- Countries that share the United Kingdom's Atlanticism and market-oriented approach to economics would also think twice before ostracizing the British.
- Instead of the dreaded Anglo-Saxon Atlanticism, we were to have a French-driven European superpower challenge to the USA.
- Above all, Blair had always tempered any enthusiasm for Europe with a strong military Atlanticism, rejecting any idea of a European army.
Atlanticist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Whilst Cooper doesn't show any hint of Euroscepticism and is faithful to the party line, it is plain that the influences on her political thought are very much Atlanticist.
- I am an American and an Atlanticist who believes in the U.N. and in NATO.
- Fischer, a convinced Atlanticist, vigorously objects to posing Europe against the United States.
Definition of Atlanticism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan