Definition of Australian in English:
A native or inhabitant of Australia, or a person of Australian descent.
- Are Scots more likely than Australians to observe their national day with reverence?
- Most Australians still feel proud of what their nation did to help its tiny neighbour.
- Along with most Australians, I do not want a world in which one country has all the power.
adjectiveBack to top
1.1 Zoology Of, relating to, or denoting a zoogeographical region comprising Australasia together with Indonesia east of Wallace’s line, in which monotremes and marsupials dominate the fauna. Compare with Notogaea, oriental.
- He denied this and said it was simply because he has a soft spot for this particular Australian marsupial.
- I hoped to meet with a team of young scientists based here who are working to protect Australian fauna.
- Baudin sent him back to France, loaded with a great wealth of specimens of Australian fauna and flora.
1.2 Botany Of, relating to, or denoting a phytogeographical kingdom comprising only Australia and Tasmania.
- The two self-fertile white clover cultivars were bred from Australian plants.
- Seeds of many Australian species require several months' storage before germination is possible.
- A well-adapted Australian hybrid, was chosen for its high tillering ability.
- Example sentences
- There are Australianisms of language and tone, Australian touchstones of reference, that should be consciously preserved.
- Personally it sounds like one of those great Australianisms, where a word has been borrowed from an act of parliament and ended up in the vernacular.
- The Australian National Dictionary is a historical dictionary of some 10,000 Australianisms.
Definition of Australian in:
- British & World English dictionary