dated or offensive
Definition of Australoid in English:
Of or belonging to the division of humankind represented by Australian Aboriginal peoples.
- A strong case can be made out that the now ubiquitous straight or wavy-haired Australoid Aborigines weren't in fact Aboriginal, that is, first occupants.
- People had reached New Guinea and Australia from Indonesia by at least 40,000 years ago; there they developed Australoid characteristics in isolation.
- Skull types representing the Mediterranean, Mongoloid, Negroid and Australoid people represent the races of mankind.
nounBack to top
A person belonging to the Australian Aboriginal division of humankind.
- Even so, the coastal and inland Aborigines did not regard these smaller Australoids as their own kind.
- The Australoids went to New Guinea, Australia, and Melanesia; the Mongoloids, through Micronesia and Polynesia.
- Likewise the Australoids of Indonesia were wiped out by the ‘Austronesian’ peoples from Taiwan and the Phillipines who expanded throughout almost all of the Pacific Basin.
Definition of Australoid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan