Definition of Avestan in English:
Of or relating to the Avesta or to the ancient Indo-Iranian language in which it is written, closely related to Vedic Sanskrit.
- Fire worship was central to the Aryans and to their Vedic and Avestan expressions, as was the tradition of the holy drink - the Vedic soma and the Avestan haoma.
nounBack to top
The Avestan language.
- This blog post cites this paper in support of a particular theory of historical change from Avestan to Modern Persian.
- Born at Liège, he entered the University there before moving to Louvain to study Sanskrit, Pli, and Avestan.
- Old Persian and its close sister Avestan, what we have of ‘Iranian Part One’ in any real way, are early Indo-European, bristling with inflectional paradigms that barely look acquirable.
Words that rhyme with AvestanMidwestern, northwestern, Preston, southwestern, western
Definition of Avestan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.