Definition of Azerbaijani in English:
noun (plural Azerbaijanis)
1A native or inhabitant of Azerbaijan or a person of Azerbaijani descent.
- Under the Russian Empire, Azerbaijanis were known collectively as Tatars and/or Muslims, together with the rest of the Turkic population in that area.
- Western television programs are well liked among the Azerbaijanis, as are Russian and Turkish programs.
- There are at least thirty-five non-Turkish ethnic groups, including other Turkic peoples who speak different Turkic languages, such as the Uygurs, Kirgiz, Kazaks, Uzbeks, Balkar, and Azerbaijanis.
2The Turkic language of Azerbaijan.
- Azeri (also referred to as Azeri Turkish) or Azerbaijani is a Turkic language in the Altaic family; it belongs to the southwestern Oguz group, together with Anatolian Turkish, Turkmen, and Gagauz.
- The accusations from a Turkish-American who speaks Azerbaijani, Farsi, Turkish and English will reignite the controversy over whether the administration ignored warnings.
- She worked as a contract linguist for the F.B.I. for about six months, translating material in Turkish, Persian and Azerbaijani.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Azerbaijan, its people, or their language.
- Yusuf, the son of Azerbaijani parents, grew up Britain and studied classical music at the Royal Academy.
- She also notes that several top officials hold dual U.S.- Azerbaijani citizenship.
- THE Azerbaijani government yesterday announced seven days of mourning to honour former president Geidar Aliev and said he would be buried in a state funeral in the capital Baku tomorrow.
Definition of Azerbaijani in:
- British & World English dictionary