noun (plural Azeris)
- 1A member of a Turkic people forming the majority population of Azerbaijan, and also living in Armenia and northern Iran.More example sentences
- Iran has Persian-speaking populations on the central plateau, but on the peripheries are ethnic and religious minorities, including Turkic Azeris, Kurds, Lurs, Arabs, Baluch, Tajiks and Turkmen.
- Approximately 10 million Azeris live in Iran - more than in Azerbaijan.
- Consequently, there are today twice as many ethnic Azeris in Iran as there are in Azerbaijan, with a population of 8 million.
- 2The Azerbaijani language.More example sentences
- Today, young people have the greatest chances of getting the best jobs if they speak three languages: Azeri, Russian, and English.
- Linguistically, it is close to Azeri, Turkish, and Uzbek.
- Until 1926, Azeri was written in Arabic script, which then was replaced by the Latin alphabet and in 1939 by Cyrillic.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Azeris or their language.More example sentences
- But the consortium of oil companies, called Azerbaijan International Operating Company, claimed that they paid Azeri leaders for the same block $400 million in bonuses.
- Because of decades of Soviet rule, she said, few Azeris have a sound knowledge of Islam, although Islam remains an integral part of Azeri identity.
- In the absence of Kazak oil the commercial viability of Baku-Jeyhan will continue to rest solely on the availability of additional Azeri oil.
from Turkish azerî.
More definitions of AzeriDefinition of Azeri in:
- The British & World English dictionary