Definition of Bactrian camel in English:
The two-humped camel, which has been domesticated but is still found wild in central Asia.
- Camelus bactrianus (formerly ferus), family Camelidae
- The wild Bactrian camel, a two-humped ancestor of domesticated camels, is now critically endangered in its native habitat in the harsh deserts of Northwest China and Mongolia.
- Like many other wild ungulates, Bactrian camels live in social groups dominated by a single male, but I had no idea that a bull could control such a large harem.
- Though it is likely the ancestor of domesticated camels, he notes that studies suggest a significant DNA difference between wild and domesticated Bactrian camels.
Definition of Bactrian camel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan