Definition of Bavarian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Bavaria.
- For the first time in the history of the Federal Republic, where regional differences remain entrenched and laden with meaning, it looked like a Bavarian might occupy the chancellor's office.
- ‘If we fail to win a trophy, it will be a year wasted,’ Hitzfeld said as the Bavarians began pre-season training this week after an eventful close season with plenty of rumours but no spectacular transfers.
- There was more good news for the Bavarians the same day when third-placed Hamburg lost 2-1 at Hertha Berlin, leaving them eight points behind Bayern.
2The dialect of German used in Bavaria.
- Even within Germany, the use of Bavarian, Swabian, or even Franconian dialect in lyrics signaled increased regional self-awareness in the face of linguistic homogenization.
- Herzog only spoke Bavarian until he went to school where he had to learn Hochdeutsch.
- Next we went to lunch at a tiny, very old school restaurant where they only spoke Bavarian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Bavaria, its people, or their language.
- Things have moved to a totally new level,’ said Bavarian state interior minister Guenther Beckstein.
- He then adds a shot of Bavarian chocolate, a shot of espresso, a dash of crushed red chili peppers and a truffle of whipped cream infused with Canadian maple syrup and sprinkled with chocolate shavings.
- With an extensive range of options - from carpaccio to crispy chicken fingers and from Bavarian wurst to a selection of French cheeses - the menu was truly international.
Definition of Bavarian in:
- British & World English dictionary