- Denoting or relating to a style of furniture and interior decoration current in Germany in the period 1815–48, characterized by restraint, conventionality, and utilitarianism.More example sentences
- Despite regional variations Biedermeier style is therefore staid, sober, and particular, eschewing heroics and drama.
- Transparent enameled beakers in the Biedermeier style were manufactured in the late 19th and 20th centuries.
- Built in the Empire and Biedermeier styles, the grounds include a turf-roofed sauna and a chapel dating from 1925.
from the name of Gottlieb Biedermeier, a fictitious German provincial schoolmaster and poet created by German satirist Ludwig Eichrodt (1827–92) in 1854.
More definitions of BiedermeierDefinition of Biedermeier in:
- The British & World English dictionary