- A Benedictine monk.More example sentences
- Beyond the village lay the Priory of the Black Monks, as we called the raven-clothed Benedictines.
- The Benedictines of Monte Cassino in Italy were the original Black Monks.
- Benedictines - or Black Monks for the color of their robes - oversaw vast numbers of monasteries that once numbered in the thousands.
Middle English: so named because of the color of the order's habit.
More definitions of Black MonkDefinition of Black Monk in:
- The British & World English dictionary