- 1A character in a tale by Charles Perrault, who killed several wives in turn for disobeying his order to avoid a locked room, which contained the bodies of his previous wives. Local tradition in Brittany identifies him with Gilles de Rais (circa 1400–40), a perpetrator of atrocities, although he had only one wife (who left him).
- 1.1 (as noun a Bluebeard) A man who murders his wives.More example sentences
- Every effort to locate either earlier tellings of these two tales has failed, a real-world Bluebeard who murdered wives in his castle is a post-Perrault creation.
- In my mind he assumes the proportions of a Bluebeard, all the more sinister for being so thoroughly outwardly respectable.
- Yet Torquilstone is more of a Bluebeard's castle than a Briar Rose's castle, ruled over as it is by a Norman robber baron.
More definitions of BluebeardDefinition of Bluebeard in:
- The British & World English dictionary