Definition of Broad Church in English:
1A tradition or group within the Anglican Church favoring a liberal interpretation of doctrine.
- In his very readable book, Tod E. Jones examines the lasting value of the Broad Church phenomenon within the Church of England in the nineteenth century.
- He belonged to the Broad Church party in the Church of Scotland believing in the trendy theories of the Victorian period such as Higher Criticism and evolution.
- One of these was Thomas Arnold, the famous headmaster of Rugby and intellectual leader of the liberal or Broad Church branch of the Church of England.
1.1A group, organization, or doctrine that allows for and caters to a wide range of opinions and people.
- His Broad Church convictions were supported by the belief that a truth sought exerts a more powerful influence than a truth taught.
- Imagine the complaints if the Broad Church approach weren't served up.
- Maybe it doesn't have to - the OMA is a Broad Church, and there's nothing wrong with that, surely?
Definition of Broad Church in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.