Definition of Buddha in English:(often the Buddha)
1.1 (as noun a buddha) Buddhism A person who has attained full enlightenment.
- Second, the stra teaches that a Buddha, upon attaining nirva, does not go into extinction, but abides in the world for aeons out of compassion for those still in need of teaching.
- You see, whenever a Buddha, a fully enlightened soul, sets his foot on the indra-keela of a city with a firm purpose in mind, miracles occur, it is said.
- A Bodhisattva is a person who's not yet become a Buddha but is on the way.
1.2A statue or picture of the Buddha.
- Halls for the secondary Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are often named according to the statue that they house.
- Travelling along the corridor to the Buddhism area, our eyes were blinded by an underground palace with thousands of gold sculptured Buddhas.
- The Buddhas I saw in corners were not serene or reassuring presences, as they might be in other parts of Asia.
Sanskrit, literally 'enlightened', past participle of budh 'know'.
Definition of Buddha in:
- British & World English dictionary