Definition of Cabernet Franc in English:
1A variety of black wine grape grown chiefly in parts of the Loire valley and northeastern Italy.
- Bordeaux grape varieties Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot predominate, and the cooler climate here upriver tends to result in light versions of red, and some rosé, Bordeaux.
- For example, did you know that the Cabernet Sauvignon grape is the result of a cross between Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc grapes.
- Malbec is a grape often blended with other reds, typically the Bordeaux varieties - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
1.1A red wine made from the Cabernet Franc grape.
- A handful of varietal Cabernet Francs are bottled in California today but the majority of the state's crop is used in Meritage like blends.
- Loire Cabernet Francs have brighter fruit characters, such as red cherry and red raspberry.
- The Merlot gives it a much fuller flavor than most Cabernet Francs, but it is still smooth, with light tannins.
Definition of Cabernet Franc in:
- British & World English dictionary