Definition of Canterbury bell in English:
A tall, sturdy cultivated bellflower with large blue, pink, or white flowers.
- Campanula medium, family Campanulaceae
- Plants that may require staking to hold their blooms high include Canterbury bells, hollyhocks, and verbascums, with foxgloves and delphiniums in the upper garden zones.
- Planted along with traditional peonies, irises and chrysanthemums, are lupines, veronicas and Canterbury bells, a contemporary feature rarely seen in Japanese gardens.
- Pink Canterbury bells will provide beautiful pink blooms from later spring to the early weeks of summer.
Late 16th century: named after the bells on Canterbury pilgrims' horses (see canter).
Definition of Canterbury bell in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan