Definition of Cape Barren goose in English:
A pale gray Australian goose related to the shelducks, with a short black bill that is almost covered by a waxy yellow cere, and a black tail. Also called cereopsis goose.
- Cereopsis novaehollandiae, family Anatidae
- Each day as we were walking we saw much wildlife including hooded plovers, pied oyster-catchers, Cape Barren geese, Bennetts wallabies and thrillingly for me, a wombat.
- The paddlers shared the island with ever noisy penguins, lots of rats and Cape Barren geese.
- In her eulogy at Tony's funeral, Marion Grace, his electoral secretary for the whole time he was in parliament, reminded those present of his successful campaigns in saving the Cape Barren geese, the hairy nosed wombat and the dingo.
mid 19th century: named after Cape Barren, an island in the Bass Strait, Australia.
Definition of Cape Barren goose in:
- British & World English dictionary