(also Cape Muslim)
- (In South Africa) a member of a predominantly Afrikaans-speaking and Muslim group resident mainly in the Western Cape Province. Compare with Cape colored.More example sentences
- The teachings of Islam, the religion practised by most Cape Malays dictate which foods may be eaten.
- They came to be called Cape Malays as they all spoke Malay, an important trading language at that time.
- The origins of these people is not the same as the Cape Malays and they are not Muslim.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to the Cape Malay people.More example sentences
- Served with a variety of sambals and atjars, Cape Malay curries are famous for their full-bodied flavour.
- We learn how to mix Masala, fold Samoosas, and how to balance the delicate flavours of a Cape Malay curry.
- Bruce Robertson, chef at the Showroom in Cape Town, refers to Cape Malay cuisine as South Africa's home cooking.
More definitions of Cape MalayDefinition of Cape Malay in:
- The British & World English dictionary