(also Cape Muslim)
Definition of Cape Malay in English:
(In South Africa) a member of a predominantly Afrikaans-speaking and Muslim group resident mainly in the Western Cape Province. Compare with Cape colored.
- The teachings of Islam, the religion practised by most Cape Malays dictate which foods may be eaten.
- They came to be called Cape Malays as they all spoke Malay, an important trading language at that time.
- The origins of these people is not the same as the Cape Malays and they are not Muslim.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the Cape Malay people.
- Served with a variety of sambals and atjars, Cape Malay curries are famous for their full-bodied flavour.
- We learn how to mix Masala, fold Samoosas, and how to balance the delicate flavours of a Cape Malay curry.
- Bruce Robertson, chef at the Showroom in Cape Town, refers to Cape Malay cuisine as South Africa's home cooking.
Definition of Cape Malay in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan