(usually the Capitol)
- 1.1 (capitol) US A building housing a legislative assembly: 50,000 people marched on New Jersey’s state capitolMore example sentences
- The sun was already over the capitol making the glass buildings shimmer and glow in the light.
- Boyd lived four blocks from the capitol in a seven-story apartment building.
- Legislators appear at state capitols or in Washington, DC, every year as representatives of their constituents.
from Old French capitolie, capitoile, later assimilated to Latin Capitolium (from caput, capit- 'head').
More definitions of CapitolDefinition of Capitol in:
- The British & World English dictionary