A small long-tailed parakeet with mainly green plumage and a yellow and orange head. It was formerly common in the eastern US but was exterminated by about 1920.
- Conuropsis (or Aratinga) carolinensis, family Psittacidae
More example sentences
- A recent convert to birdwatching has collected information on such extinct birds as the Carolina parakeet, the ivory-billed woodpecker, and the heath hen in a poetic, passionate effort to ‘restory’ the past.
- Whenever I look into the green leaves of the trees in my neighborhood and see the black-hooded parakeets camouflaged there, I think of the poor Carolina parakeet.
- When they crossed the Kansas River, Clark described encountering a large flock of ‘Parrot queets,’ now thought to be the handsome, bright green and yellow Carolina parakeet, the last of which died in the Cincinnati Zoo in 1918.
Definition of Carolina parakeet in:
- The British & World English dictionary