Definition of Catalan in English:
1A native of Catalonia.
- A survey the other day revealed that 80% of Catalans want Spain to lose every possible game.
- In Perpignan they are Catalans first and French second, and they have a very strong association with the Catalans in Spain.
- But native Catalans will tell you that they are really a separate nation from the rest of Spain.
2A Romance language closely related to Castilian Spanish and Provençal, widely spoken in Catalonia (where it has official status alongside Castilian Spanish) and in Andorra, the Balearic Islands, and parts of southern France.
- Andorra's official language is Catalan, a Romance language spoken in Catalonia, a region in Spain.
- Gasol speaks three languages: Catalan, Spanish and English.
- The parliament has already spent £102000 providing advice in a dozen other languages, including Catalan, French, Spanish and German.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to Catalonia, its people, or its language.
- Their parliament, government and universities were closed and the Catalan language banned.
- He still has problems with the Catalan language, more comfortable with English and German, but he has been making attempts to be less of a non-compromiser.
- In addition to its tolerant history, the town is proud of the Catalan culture and language it shares with the rest of the Catalonia region of Spain.
Words that rhyme with CatalanAcrilan • adman
Definition of Catalan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan