Definition of Celtic in English:
Of or relating to the Celts or their languages, which constitute a branch of the Indo-European family and include Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Breton, Manx, Cornish, and several extinct pre-Roman languages such as Gaulish.
- Maude Gonne and Yeats worked together to promote the Celtic mysteries within the order.
- Ancient Celtic legends win out over oral traditions like these for two reasons.
- Rather, it is inspired by Celtic belief in the importance of lakes and rivers as sources of power.
nounBack to top
The Celtic language group. See also P-Celtic, Q-Celtic.
- In particular, we can nowadays assume that the oldest Celtic was spoken in Central Europe and Northern Italy.
- It seems likely therefore that Celtic was spoken on both sides of the Rhine during the early empire.
- In fact, the form of old Celtic was the closest cousin to Italic, the precursor of Latin.
- Example sentences
- The key to this understanding lies in the way we look at Celticism - and the best way to do this is to compare Celtic identity and the British image.
- Interestingly, for all the tartanry and Celticism involved, the games are mainly an east of Scotland phenomenon.
- Among the first advocates of worldbeat Celticism, the Chieftains charted a late 20th-century journey with Celtic music, thus transforming Santiago into the centre of the Celtic world.
- Example sentences
- Modern Celticists know that the six Celtic nations have close links and parallel histories.
- The aim of the Journal was to provide a forum for Australian Celticists, both academics and community members.
- It is envisaged that these works will help regenerate interest in the field of historical verse among both Celticists and Medievalists in general.
Pronunciation: /ˈkeltəˌsizəm, ˈsel-/noun
Pronunciation: /ˈkeltəˌsist, ˈsel-/noun
Definition of Celtic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan