Definition of Chamorro in English:
1A member of the indigenous people of the Mariana Islands (including Guam).
- Chamoru, the ancient language of the Chamorros on Guam, and English are both official languages in Guam.
- Guam is a spiritual place where Chamorros believe in a vigorous spiritual presence melded with Catholic dogma taught by the earliest Spanish missionaries.
- After the 1970s, ethnic tension between Chamorros and Filipinos became pronounced.
2The Austronesian language of the Chamorro.
- The official languages are English, Chamorro, and Carolinian, an Eastern Malayo-Polynesian language that is a combination of dialects from atolls in the area of Truk.
- Guam, or Guahan, (translated as ‘we have’) as it was known in the ancient Chamorro language, is the southernmost and largest island of the Mariana Islands, in the west central Pacific.
- In the Chamorro language of the Northern Marianas, the greeting is hafa adai.
Definition of Chamorro in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan