noun (plural same)
- 1A member of an indigenous people of Colombia whose well-developed political structure was destroyed by Europeans.More example sentences
- The original inhabitants of the great plateaus of the Andean highlands in central Colombia were known as Chibchas.
- The Chibchas, who lived in the Bogotá region, were the largest indigenous group.
- Among the more ghoulish ancient usages were those by the Chibcha Indians of Colombia.
- 2The extinct Chibchan language of the Chibcha.More example sentences
- There are still twenty-five surviving indigenous languages belonging to three linguistic families: Caribans, Arawak, and Chibcha.
adjectiveBack to top
American Spanish, from Chibcha zipa 'chief, hereditary leader'.
More definitions of ChibchaDefinition of Chibcha in:
- The British & World English dictionary