noun (plural same or Chichimecs)
- 1A member of a group of indigenous peoples, including the Toltecs and the Aztecs, dominant in central Mexico from the 10th to the 16th centuries.More example sentences
- According to Clavijero the Toltecs came to Mexico about A.D.648, the Chichimecs in 1170, and the Aztecs in 1196.
- These the Chichimecs considered to be descended from the Toltecs of Tollan, the ‘Place of the Reeds,’ the fabled central Mexican city, a place of divine creation and the cradle of human civilization.
- No satisfactory explanation for this collapse has been offered, although sacking by rival Chichimecs is one possibility.
Spanish, from Nahuatl.
More definitions of ChichimecDefinition of Chichimec in:
- The British & World English dictionary