A tall perennial plant with palmate leaves, whitish flowers, and winged fruits. The dried rhizomes and roots are used medicinally.
- Rheum longifolia, family Polygonaceae
More example sentences
- The inhibitory substance in Chinese rhubarb was soluble in polar solvents and less soluble in nonpolar solvents.
- Weakened decoctions of Chinese rhubarb are used for diarrhea, while stronger ones are effective for constipation or cramps with delayed menstruation.
- Although its rhizomes served folk medicine as a mild laxative, they do not have the medicinal properties that give Chinese rhubarb its powers.
Definition of Chinese rhubarb in:
- The British & World English dictionary