Definition of Chinese rhubarb in English:
A tall perennial plant with palmate leaves, whitish flowers, and winged fruits. The dried rhizomes and roots are used medicinally.
- Rheum longifolia, family Polygonaceae
- The inhibitory substance in Chinese rhubarb was soluble in polar solvents and less soluble in nonpolar solvents.
- Weakened decoctions of Chinese rhubarb are used for diarrhea, while stronger ones are effective for constipation or cramps with delayed menstruation.
- Although its rhizomes served folk medicine as a mild laxative, they do not have the medicinal properties that give Chinese rhubarb its powers.
Definition of Chinese rhubarb in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan