Definition of Chiricahua in English:
1A member of an Apache people, formerly located in southern New Mexico, southeastern Arizona, and northern Mexico, now living primarily in Oklahoma and New Mexico.
- Daklugie suffered all the ignominies heaped upon the Chiricahuas after they were exiled to Florida.
- Among the Chiricahuas and the Western Apaches local groups comprised loose confederations called bands.
- For further information regarding the dealings of the Chiricahua with the Government, see Apache.
2The Athabaskan language of the Chiricahua.
- Many of the stories appearing in this volume were recorded and transcribed in the Chiricahua language by Harry Hoijer, a noted linguist who studied southern Athapaskan languages.
- When I was in sheep camp, I listened closely and it seemed to me that it was talking the Chiricahua language.
- Only 300 people are still fluent in the Chiricahua language.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Chiricahua or their language.
- Also they are reaching out to the non-Indian community to educate them about Chiricahua philosophy.
- In his context, modern Chiricahua settlement patterns now indicate a reassertion of traditional Chiricahua spatial patterns.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia