- An order of mammals that comprises the bats. There are over 900 living species of bats, and they are found on every continent except Antarctica. See also Megachiroptera, Microchiroptera.More example sentences
- Maps for the Insectivora, Chiroptera, and Cetacea are not included in this chapter.
- All bats belong to the order Chiroptera, meaning ‘hand-wing.’
- Let's investigate the origin and evolution of flight in our representative taxa: the Pterosauria, Aves, and Chiroptera (bats).
modern Latin (plural), from chiro- 'hand' + Greek pteron 'wing'.
More definitions of ChiropteraDefinition of Chiroptera in:
- The British & World English dictionary