Definition of Chokwe in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a people living in the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire) and northern Angola.
- In effect, the Chokwe reduced the memorization of a lusona (singular of sona) to two numbers and a geometric algorithm for constructing one or more curves to create the desired pattern.
- Therefore, the essays deal more with the ‘related peoples’ referred to in the subtitle, while the Chokwe as such are the main focus of the catalogue sections.
- She said the people in the area had been plotting to have her removed from the school to allow a fellow Chokwe take over as school head teacher.
2The Bantu language of the Chokwe.
- Six of the Bantu languages were selected as national languages: Chokwe, Kikongo, Kimbundo, Mbunda, Oxikuanyama, and Umbundu.
- Portuguese is the official language, although 95 percent of Angolans speak Ovimbundu, Mbundu, Kongo, Chokwe, and other languages.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Chokwe or their language.
- It is mainly thanks to the work of Bastin, who taught African art history at the Universite Libre de Bruxelles, that Chokwe art is relatively well known.
- Thus, contrary to earlier descriptions by Bastin and others, on the basis of information gathered from Chokwe assistants in Zambia, the Chihongo masquerader is described here as a royal or chiefly character.
- This mask's coiffure, entirely coated with red earth, depicts a style worn in the past by Chokwe women.
Definition of Chokwe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.