Definition of Circassian in English:
Relating to or denoting a group of mainly Sunni Muslim peoples of the northwest Caucasus.
- When he built this hotel in 1912 he filled it with Austrian crystal chandeliers, Circassian walnut paneling, and an Italian marble staircase and floors.
- It set off her golden eyes, and her very light blond hair, a legacy of her Circassian ancestors.
- Special seats were set aside in parliament for Christian, Chechen, Circassian, and Bedouin minorities.
nounBack to top
1A member of the Circassian.
- The Circassians, who are Muslim, are of Russian origin and generally have fair hair and skin.
- From 1382 onwards the rulers were mostly Circassians from the Caucasus.
- The North Caucasus houses Circassians, Turkic peoples, Ossetians, and Chechens; Dagestan alone contains dozens of nationalities.
from Circassia, Latinized form of Russian Cherkes, denoting a district in the northern Caucasus.
Definition of Circassian in:
- British & World English dictionary