Definition of Colorado potato beetle in English:
A yellow- and black-striped leaf beetle native to North America. The larvae are highly destructive to potato plants and have occurred in many countries.
- Leptinotarsa decemlineata, family Chrysomelidae
- And in the case of wasps, mosquitoes, Colorado beetles and ants, I actually do my own killing.
- During the late 1940s I remember helping my uncle to search for Colorado beetles in his potato patch.
- Different varieties of vegetables attract specific bad bugs - potatoes, for instance, are the favourite food of the Colorado beetle.
Late 19th century: named after the state of Colorado.
Definition of Colorado potato beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.